The Amplify Fund: Elevating Community Voices in Decision-making
As part of Surdna’s Centennial grantmaking initiatives, we’re investing in equitable community development led by residents.
Surdna’s catalytic $4.5 million contribution to the Amplify Fund will seed a multimillion-dollar pooled fund to put neighborhood development in the hands of the residents of those communities.
The Fund, an initiative of the Neighborhood Funders Group (NFG), is focused on bolstering the ongoing efforts of residents in historically marginalized communities (low-wealth communities and communities of color) to make decisions about the policies, developments and public investments that impact their lives.
The Fund will:
- Help to scale and advance the practice of philanthropic support for community engaged development, deepen funders’ impact and formalize a set of best practices for funders to disseminate in the field.
- Invest in up to 10 cities over the next five years, focusing on supporting citywide and regional coalitions, networks, and campaigns led by members of low-wealth communities and communities of color which are engaging, advocating, and organizing for equitable development.
- Offer communication, evaluation, and technical support to grantee organizations.
- Generate a collaborative network of community-driven organizations that connects local, regional and national efforts to share strategies, best practices, and knowledge to ensure a lasting, widespread practice of equitable community development led by residents.
- Elevate and amplify the local movements toward equitable community development and call attention to the importance of ensuring that the voices and perspectives of the residents in low-wealth communities and communities of color inform decisions about the policies, developments and public investments that impact their lives.
Click here for more information about the Surdna Foundation’s contribution to the Amplify Fund.